• Latest Posts

• Fare Awaits went 1.50 neat at Menangle. So that's a new neat Australasian record for a 2 yearold and he won easy . quite extraordinary.  beating his 1.50.6 record at Albion in the Winter.   Grant Dixon also won the other feature race , the 3 year old Sires final with Air Express, to give Seymour $180k for those 2 Group 1's.  and LEAP TO FAME was just cruising to jog in untouched by a couple of lengths . About a second off the world Record.  3 out of 3 for QLD. Grimson's 3 were all way down the track getting the trifecta at the wrong end .  no NZ for them.( not without a magic wand anyway ) look out New Zealand.     here comes Queensland . 🇦🇺🏆.  Cup Time !!
    • LEAP TO FAME Looked ready for the plane To my untrained eye He's gonna scoop our Cup pie   And speaking of Aussies winning in New Zealand, JUST BELIEVE and KEAYANG ZAHARA are both racing at Maryborough later today [Sunday] before heading our way too. 
    • An astonishing performance by VIA SISTINA and in front of her best European form from last year. Indulge me a moment please... VIA SISTINA's final British run was when chasing home KING OF STEEL (now retired) in the Champion Stakes at Ascot last October. KING OF STEEL had run second in the 2023 Derby behind AUGUSTE RODIN who we know is a very good horse having won the Breeders Cup Turf last year and this season winning the Prince of Wales at Ascot and running a neck second to ECONOMICS in the Irish Champion, a race he had won in 2023. VIA SISTINA's final UK rating was 116. I would rate her run today as around 127 in UK terms - CITY OF TROY is currently rated 128 so she's a champion even up here on that evidence and would have gone very close in the Juddmonte (the UK equivalent of the Cox Plate on some measures). DOCKLANDS ran well until tiring in the final 200m - a decent prep for some 1600-2000m races at Flemington next month perhaps? His UK rating is 116 and VIA SISTINA beat him 11 lengths in receipt of 4 lbs. CITY OF TROY beat DOCKLANDS 11 lengths in the Juddmonte so that puts VIA SISTINA and CITY OF TROY very close on ratings. You could also argue on a line through PROGNOSIS, she comes up ahead of ROMANTIC WARRIOR, the 2023 winner though thst may be an unwise line to follow. As I say, astonishing - she's found at least 5-7 lbs of improvement from the Turnbull - I did wonder if the way the race was run played to her strengths but nonetheless this was arguably the most visually impressive performance I've seen on a racecourse this year (so far). Will she see out the 3200m at Flemington? JAN BRUEGHEL is 5/1 favourite up here with BUCKAROO and VIA SISTINA 6s, VAUBAN 7s and ONESMOOTHOPERATOR 8s. She has the speed to pick these off - no question - but will she be able to use it over a trip 800m beyond anything she's ever raced? When they tried her over 2400m in the Malleret in 2021, she finished stone bonking last on very deep ground but that was in 2021 and she's clearly not the same horse she was then.  
    • Hmm.. that's odd.   As I see the NZ racing scene being the basis of this horse being what it is.   The class was realised here, the ability was enhanced and projected here, her confidence in what she could do was established here with Latta,  and that's amazing.   Just like Kiwi, or any others that have performed In NZ and gone across the Tasman, and that can't be taken away.     But in this instance, Belclare's whole approach, to horses around her, and her dominance around other horses in the parade and at the start was next level.    I don't care Liz if you want to berate me, maybe I focus on horses behaviour more than you do, I don't know, and to be honest, given that you have known me for so long to post this rubbish, so be it..  live long and prosper.  
    • It’s those very comments that I disagree with and I think are unfair to Lisa and the NZ Racing scene. In fact it is thoughts like that, that continue to unfairly downgrade our people and our racing. Chestnut, I’ve been a great admirer of you, but in this instance I have to disagree because I am sick of being told that unless a horse performs in Australia (or in fact) is improved by an Australian trainer, it’s not up to the class!
    • What?   That's not taking anything away from her early foundations, she is a great mare and was trained to her strengths.    But I think there is a lot to say about preparing horses for racing on a completely different stage and that is Aussie racing, be it the crowd, be it the competition and more aggressive racing styles and to be honest the quality of the jockey's that you are racing against day in day out..   I'm surprised Liz at your response       
    • Absolute rubbish. So typical of “down crying” everything about our trainers and our racing, and that’s not taking anything away from Bjorn.
    • I think this mare has stepped up a few steps though with Baker.  She does look like a mare with more purpose.  
    • Actually, I think that there is one hell of a lot more to say, especially how our races are thought of Internationally, especially from a Ratings point of view. But in the meantime congratulations to Dave and Deb for having the guts to turn down the miserly offer for a dual NZ Gr1 winner of less than $700K and then bank A$1 Million + today. You fuckin beauties! Liz
    • Belclare winning The Invitation at Royal Randwick for trainer Bjorn Baker. Photo: Bradley Photos Connections of multiple Group One winner Belclare have savoured a bumper payday as the seven-year-old daughter of Per Incanto proved too strong in the $2 million Group 2 The Invitation (1400m) at Randwick on Saturday. Under a positive Tyler Schiller ride, Belclare had most of her rivals gasping a fair way from home, and she sailed to a comfortable length and a quarter victory as the former Kiwi saluted at her third start for Sydney trainer Bjorn Baker. “I’m very lucky to get this mare,” Baker said. “She’s a dual Group One winner in New Zealand. Lisa Latta is one of New Zealand’s best trainers so I’ve got a ready-made horse for the owners, Deb and Dave Woodhouse. “They entrusted me with her. It’s been a bit of a learning curve but we got it right today. And this is the day that we wanted to get it right, so I’m very grateful.” The expat Kiwi horseman was delighted to pull off a feature win with the mare he had been bullish about since joining his stable and will now consider the next plans. “We’ll just have a good think about it but she was very good today,” Baker said. “She was able to dominate. She’s a very good mare, so that makes it easy. When you’ve got good quality bloodstock, she makes me look good. I’m very grateful to get the opportunity. “She has beaten some absolute topliners. She said she’s up to it. And we know, Kiwis, they’re always strong.” Raced by her breeder David Woodhouse, time had been called on Belclare’s racing career last season, with the two-time winner of the Group 1 New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeder’s Stakes (1600m) destined to be sold as a broodmare. She was subsequently offered at Magic Millions’ National Broodmare Sale, where she failed to meet her $700,000 reserve. While initially disappointed with the outcome, Woodhouse has now got good reason to smile as the $1 million first prize in the Australian Group Two advanced the mare’s career earnings to $1,934,780. Belclare has now won 12 races, 11 of which were in the care of Awapuni trainer Lisa Latta. By outstanding Little Avondale Stud sire Per Incanto, Belclare is the third foal from the O’Reilly mare Miss Rhythmic, a winner of one race and herself a sister to Luxe, who ran third in the Listed Taranaki Oaks Prelude. They are out of the Keeper mare Gymnast who in turn was out of the champion filly of her year in Olga’s Pal, whose six wins included the Group 1 New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m).
    • This is going to be a fun competition. Maybe the winners should pool their resources in February and see if they they can repeat it. LOL
    • He isa great NZ ambassador...a true professional without doubt one of if not the best jockey in the world...yes you need the cattle but he is a freak.
    • Absolutely FANTASTIC. Won by 13 or so lengths by a Champion horse Via Sistina, in a Race Record time and she was eased down before the line. The previous record was held by the legendary Winx. JMac wins his 3rd consecutive Cox Plate, and he achieves his 100 G 1 Win in the fastest time EVER. Just a shame James didn’t win his 100 in Sydney. I am sure the reception would have been a lot better than was on display there. Anyway many many more to come. 
    • absolutely world class, made them look 2nd rate....Mel Cup winner if they go that way.
    • Iv'e only been to one Cox Plate [live].  Dulcify's Gee I wish I was there today. That was the equivalent.
    • A 2000M time for 2040M
    • One could say UNBELIEVABLE, but it's not, as James, notwithstanding the opportunities, has always risen to the occasion. BUT, without the guidance of his parents, John O'Shea, Chris Waller, Peter Vella, his wife, Godolphin & James Cummings and many many others, he would have been good, very very good, but there would have been hurdles, [that we have all struck] BUT James has surmounted them and become the super star that he was destined to become. BUT yes as James says, there was support all along the way, even if at one stage it was all coming too easy. No one in my lifetime in the industry has ever been given the opportunity that James was accorded BUT probably there was no one else out there that could have grabbed it with both hands, accepted it and still succeeded. Just saying. Liz
    • A bit like 111 wasn't it and lifting our feet off the ground until he passed the post      But I'm chuffed that he found the way through to 100 with a horse that's name basically says that      
  • Like & Follow Us on Facebook

• RaceCafe News

• Featured Video

• Topics

• Disclaimer

While the owners and managers of RaceCafe endeavour to moderate and control the site and posts on it, they give no guarantee that posts are true and correct, and take no responsibility whatsoever for what individuals post on the site.

Posts do not necessarily reflect the sentiments, views or beliefs of Race Cafe or its owners and management.

The owners and managers of RaceCafe reserve the right to remove posts from the site and to provide details of members whose posts warrant scrutiny.